How to Remove Formatting in Excel | Clear Format in 3 Steps
We format cells in excel to make them visually stand out or to highlight specific cells.
It might happen that you want to clear formats in excel of all cells, in that case removing formatting like cell colors, borders, font etc. of all cells in a tedious activity.
You can either do this manually or you can use the Clear Formats option in excel which can remove formatting of all types from all cells in one go.
In this article we’ll learn how to clear formats in excel quickly, so let’s start.
Table of Contents
How to Clear Formatting in Excel
Follow the below steps to clear formatting in excel:
- Select all cells using CTRL+A or select the range of cells to clear formats in excel from.
- Go to Home tab and select Clear option.
- From the Clear dropdown, select Clear Formats option.
- This will clear formats in excel from the selected cells.
Quick Tip: In case you want to clear contents, formats, hyperlinks and comments all together from the selected cells then you can use the Clear All option.
Remove Formatting in Excel From Quick Access Toolbar
If you want to quickly access Clear formats option in excel then you can add it to the quick access toolbar.
This is the quick access toolbar where you can add and quickly access options that you frequently use in excel.
Here’s how to add excel clear format on the toolbar:
- Click on the three dots or the arrow icon depending on your Excel version. Then select All Commands from the dropdown.
- Scroll down and find the Clear Format option. If you can’t find it easily you can select Home from Choose commands from option.
- Once you find it, select the Clear Format option and click Add or “>” arrow. Then click Ok or Save button.
- Done, now you can see that the Clear formats option is added to the quick access toolbar which can be used to clear formats in excel.
How to Remove Formatting in Excel Using Format Painter
There is one more way to remove formatting in excel by using the format painter option.
Format painter is used to copy format from one cell and paste the same on the selected cell so using the same option we’ll copy the format of a blank cell and paste it on the formatted cell thus clearing formats in excel.
- Select the unformatted or blank cells in Excel.
- Under Home tab click on the Format Painter option.
- Drag and select the cells from which you want to clear formatting. Here’s how the entire process and result would look like.
This was all about excel remove formatting.
Hope this article helped you learn how to clear formats in excel from all or specific cells using the clear format option as well as the format painter option.
If you have any questions or suggestion please feel free to write them down on the comment section below, our team would be happy to help in any way possible.
Advanced Excel Course
Learn Vlookup, Pivot tables, What IF, Macro Automation, Power Query and much more.
- 10+Hrs of Learning Content
- 50+ Practical Exercises
- Doubt Resolution