How to remove blank row in Excel | 3 Quick Ways
When working in excel, blank rows are often irritating. Maybe you received an excel file which has tons of blank rows or maybe you had to delete some data and now you have a whole lot of blank rows.
They seem harmless but it’s still annoying to work with blank rows. Luckily, there are multiple ways to remove blank row in excel. In this tutorial we’ll cover excel delete blank row process and how to remove empty rows in excel.
There are multiple ways to do this. Let’s get started.
Table of Contents
Excel remove blank row manually
If there are only a few, you can remove blank rows in excel manually itself.
- Select the row by clicking on the row number, this will select the entire row.
- Right click on the selected row and select Delete option from the drop down.
- Done the row is removed. Now you can delete all empty rows in excel which are left.
Excel how to remove blank rows using Go To Special
Deleting blank rows in excel manually is fine if there are only a couple of blank rows. But imagine if there are 100s of blank rows. You can’t do this manually one by one.
The goal is to work smarter, not harder. To remove blank rows in excel we’ll use Go To Special to make the process faster.
- Select a column which includes all the blank rows. You can just select the column name.
- Go to Home tab and under Find & Select choose Go To Special.
- Now mark the Blanks checkbox and select OK.
- This will make excel select all the blank rows in the entire column.
- Now just right click on the any of the blank cell and choose Delete or use the keyboard shortcut CTRL – Now in the Delete dialog box just select Entire row and hit OK.
Done know you know how to delete all empty rows in excel.
How to remove empty rows excel using Filter Option
There is one more way to remove blank row in excel, i.e. using the Filter option. We’re going to first highlight blank rows, let’s see how.
- In the image below you can see multiple blank rows which are to be removed.
- Now select the first row, go to Data tab and select Filter.
- Now that filter is applied to the column headers, go to one of the columns click on the downward arrow to open the filter options.
- Now scroll down and select the option (Blanks), uncheck everything else and hit OK.
- Excel has filtered the blank rows. You can see them highlighted with blue.
- Now select the filtered rows. Under Home tab go to Delete and select Delete Sheet Rows.
- Now go to Data tab and select Clear. This will remove the filters we had applied.
- Excel delete blank row process is now complete. Now you know how to remove empty rows excel using filter option.
This was all about remove blank row excel process.
I hope this tutorial helped you understand process to remove blank row in excel, how to remove blank rows in excel using Filter + Go To Special and much more.
If you have any questions or tips, I’d love to hear them in the comment section below.
Advanced Excel Course
Learn Vlookup, Pivot tables, What IF, Macro Automation, Power Query and much more.
- 10+Hrs of Learning Content
- 50+ Practical Exercises
- Doubt Resolution